Wednesday 14 September 2016

"Patriarchal Nonsense"



I used to ponder on why
my "better half" let me down
in a way that always hurts
after we made our matchless vow
to stay for better or for worse -
until death sets us apart
but -
I've learned to let go
after all we all can only try
to do what's right in this life
where we come and go.


I was then thirty
with a youthful hue
as fresh as dew
that and many others
attracted me to him and others
who thought that I "am witty
graceful and not cocky".


Yet, those were not enough
to make him stay home although
he had cheated and
that was not the first.
What makes it worse
is the onus society places
on me the woman and not what
he the man does in most cases
to keep a union such as ours
from coming to an end. 

I became to him what most men
see in their mothers who
broke their hymen
before marriage who
they/society labels whoes - not him
who appears to have the right
to dangle his manhood
in every house he deems fit -
then again - it's a man's world?


While I dearly want to jab underfoot
the numerous cancers of our society I 
certainly cannot with a single post
although this is a start -
so should I live another day I
would tell a story which might cost
me friends and some sanity -
but better that than permit
this patriarchal idiocy
under his authoritarian jackboot.

Yeah, I doubted every time he said
"I love you"  because when he lied
he would - with a Judas kiss.
And he had me believe it was 
because I couldn't suffice
his most pressing manly needs
including his fetish for blowjob.

Rather 'kind' to showcase his prop
whenever the stage necessitated it.
Yes, I was his showpiece when he deemed it fit -
a day's joy was but a bubble
as his heart seemed unattainable.
The man who had said I do
had become his own foe -
so unpredictable predictable.

I figured I was not enough
to please and pleasure him over time
and had to face the truth that I'm better off ...
not living in denial and the dream
that a man whose sisters had served
him nearly all his life -
wouldn't be needing another "slave" christened a wife.
Because out of his rips I was taken -
to be his "helper", sex object and for his kitchen:
such patriarchal nonsense
posited by men with a double dose of insolence.

Stop Violence Against Women
I served my couch a billion tears from a bitter heart -
because the punching, kicking, name-calling was tearing us apart
and I prayed it would end
as it appeared I wasn't good
to keep him from cheating
over and over with the bluff
that he was going to change and
realize that I am good enough.

He never did and like me
you don't need his permission
to make the decision
not to any longer tolerate
this patriarchal nonsense
and end the marriage
but it would be painstakingly tough
and society would take offense
because it expects you and me
to accept this patriarchal nonsense.

For statistics on violence against women in Ghana read at: http://gendercentreghana.org/?p=63

Source:cmcghana.blogspot.com/Crabbe Nathaniel

 PHOTOS:
Malala



No comments:

Post a Comment